Friday, June 11, 2010

Why Devaluing Others Devalues Oneself

Have you ever felt like you have been devalued by someone else? How did it feel? Were you angry and downtrodden? I have and know exactly how it feels when other people have devalued who I am and what I do. I regained my emotional composure in spite of these judgments, and realized that I am still who I am and that I did not die of sadness or inferiority. Overcoming rejections and hurtful situations can be difficult but not impossible. The word “haters” comes to mind when I observe or know of people who constantly devalue others based on personal judgments.

Before I started to write about this topic I thought about how I may have been a hater myself in some instances. So I guess I can not put a halo on for this one. After taking responsibility for value judging others, I tuned back into the innermost genuine part of my character that frowns upon the very thought of people taking a voluntary stance of superiority over others.

There is no doubt that society imposes certain criteria that most people try to live by for acceptance and self-gratification and part of the deal is a certain degree of devaluing others to feel better about themselves. There are reality TV shows devoted to flaunting and glorifying the “fun” associated with trying to look and be “better” than others. Self-improvement, common courtesy, and the golden rule of treating others as you would like to be treated appears to be a thing of the past.

In sharing a brief camaraderie moment with one of my colleagues, she pointed out that her father had once told her that she was not better than anyone else but no one else was better than her. That inspired me to take this topic and run with it for the article. We enjoyed sharing the empowerment one feels when we maintain the idea that others do not determine our value and that even when we are faced with gestures of dislike or hate from others, one must remember that the value judgment that truly matters is; you guessed it, your own.

When we hold on to the truth that lies within our genuine characters of self-worth, we become our own best heroes. We just need to remember that we possess certain talents, abilities, skills, and characteristic traits that are unique and that no hater can take them away no matter how much they devalue you.

Changing the frequency of our lives to gain empowerment over our decisions at our homes and work organizations can make all the difference in the world in terms of joining the haters groups or serving as examples and pillars of greatness for the betterment of society. Devalue others and devalue yourself; empower others and empower yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment